Friday, August 1, 2014

Matthew's Gift


 

One Sunday morning a couple of years ago, a little boy named Matthew handed me a small piece of paper after church. It was a cute smiling face on an oddly shaped piece of paper, which made it look as if it had ears. I brought it home and put it on my refrigerator among other pieces of artwork, pictures and appointment cards.

The small picture remained there for some time. I would admire it occasionally and think of the artist. It was rather small, so I didn’t have it secured with a magnet, because it would have covered some of the picture. However, it remained just where I had put it until a few months ago.

One Sunday morning, following a week of discouraging events, I had a spirit of defeat. I even began to think of staying home from church…that is, until I walked into the kitchen. There on the floor in front of me was a small piece of paper. It was a picture of a gift…a green box with a blue lid with a red bow on top. I reached down to pick up the “gift”, and turning it over, I saw the cute little smiley face. I was quite amazed that I had never looked at the back of the smiley picture when it was given to me. Just when I needed a gift, a smile, there it was…breaking through the darkness of my discouragement.

I placed the smiling face back on my refrigerator, cherishing that “moment” that God kissed me on the cheek, reminding me of His Presence…and His presents. Yes, this was a present from God, and from Matthew. It was a reminder of God’s love for me, renewing my mind, and strengthening my spirit.

Most everyone would see this as a “sweet story”…just a coincidence, and not necessarily a “God-moment”. However, as my relationship with Jesus Christ has deepened, I have learned His voice, I have watched Him work, and I have experienced supernatural things that have made me pay attention to detail. With God, we can’t take anything for granted…especially when it happens twice.

I am generally a happy person. It is rare for me to feel discouraged. However, I found myself a bit down the other day, and the minute I realized it, the same thing happened. There it was on the kitchen floor… the gift, the smile, right on time. Just as before, I had no more than contemplated my state, when suddenly, God used the “gift” to bring joy.

You may say, “Well, it just fell again”, but how do you explain away God’s timing? I am convinced that what the Bible says is true…that He knows our hearts. That He is a God that is full of compassion, and that He is a God that can move mountains…my mountain was discouragement…and He moved a little boy to draw a picture, give it to me, and then He placed it before me at the very moments that I needed His love and encouragement.

On Wednesday night, our youth teacher was leading a devotional. She shared stories of how God had called some people by their names, and how He used them in mighty ways. Then, she told the story of Samuel, a little boy that God called by name, and then chose to lead. At the end of the devotional, she asked, “Do you think God knows your name? Do you think that God can use children?”

“Absolutely!” I thought.

God used Matthew to relay a message, to touch my life, and to speak of His Presence. The Great Physician used a little boy to write my prescription months before I needed it. Then, perhaps by the brush of an angel’s wing, He orchestrated the administration of this unique gift, the smile, that punctual and perfectly placed picture in my path. Unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment