Sunday, February 21, 2016

God's Will In Ill


 
As children of a loving, Almighty God, we should not expect that it is His will that we suffer.  So, when we have sickness, especially an extended illness, or feared diagnoses, we pray. We pray for physical comfort. We pray for peace. We pray for healing. And sometimes, we ask and we pray, and we pray, and we pray. We ask questions…we ask why. We ask when. We wait.

While we wait, and we wait, and we wait, God gives grace…grace sufficient for each day. We do not often consider or seek the power of His all-sufficient grace. We desire mercy…relief for the pain and the suffering. We desire wholeness and restoration. We pray, we plead, and we wait.

Once, I suffered with a shoulder that I had thought would never get better. I asked God, but had not received healing, nor had I experienced relief. I had tearfully sought the Lord in prayer. I prayed and I prayed. I grew tired in my journey. After a long time, in frustration, I asked God what He wanted me to do.

Finally, I had prayed the right prayer. Jesus taught his disciples how to pray… “Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.”(Matthew 6:10) We are told to ask and to pray God’s will.

Journeys usually involve plans and purposes, as well as routes and destinations. For instance, when I go into town to buy groceries, I usually plan to go to the post office, the bank, and to take care of various errands. Sometimes, my trip takes longer than I thought it would, but I attempt to accomplish all of my plans and purposes for that day.

When I asked God what He wanted me to do, I essentially asked, “What is Your will in this ill?” Perhaps in the midst of my journey, there were plans and purposes that needed to be fulfilled. Perhaps in what we call “God’s time”, there is actually something for us to do.

“Bless people. See how many people that you can bless during the day.” That was my answer. I had a doctor’s appointment the next day, and I purposed myself to do just what God wanted me to do. Along the way, throughout the day, I said and did things that I felt prompted by the Holy Spirit to say and do. It was amazing how many people I came in contact with. And at the end of the day, I realized that it cost me nothing, but to someone it could have meant everything…even eternity. God gave the seed, and I sowed.

With a new focus, I can honestly say that I do not remember the day and hour I began getting better. One day, I realized that I was healed.

Father God does not bring sickness to His children. Sickness occurs due to the human condition, and we are subject to the consequences of living in a fallen world. God can and does heal…sometimes miraculously. Sometimes God heals us “as we go”. Sometimes, God gives grace, power and endurance to bring a mighty testimony of faith. And finally, at some point, those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their LORD and Savior and belong to God, realize ultimate wholeness and healing in His Almighty Heavenly Presence.

God can use illness. God can accomplish plans and purposes along the path of a journey to teach, to heal, to bring salvation, and to carry out His will. Finding purpose inside of painful experiences can bring peace, blessing and fruitfulness to situations that seem futile and hopeless.
I guess if there could ever be a “good” ill will, then it belongs to God.

Be blessed, In Jesus' Name,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment