Monday, June 29, 2015

What Can I Bring?

 
What Can I Bring?

I was thinking today about how when someone asks us to come to dinner, I will ask, "What can I bring?" I want to participate in some way. I want to show my appreciation for the invitation, and offer to help.

Out of love, I sometimes want to give or to share something with someone I care about. What does he or she like? What can he or she use?

Jesus has extended an invitation of salvation and an opportunity to spend eternity with God and in His Love and Presence to all people. One day, each of us will stand before our Creator, God. How many times have I thought about what I will bring?

When I stand before God, what will I have of worth? Money, houses, land, jewels, treasured collectibles are things that I will leave behind. I will stand before Him with only a life spent. When I reflect on my life, I wonder if I shall stand full of sorrow… Did the things that I pursued in my life on matter to Him? Did these things reflect His nature? How was my time on Earth spent? Did I leave a legacy that reflected God’s love?

How often do I think about what do I want to give God? What does He like? What can He use?

The Bible tells us that God’s desire is for a life that is pleasing unto Him. What is pleasing to God?

Colossians 1:10-12 says…  “That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;  Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light…”

Good works…Not the works that bring attention to one’s self, but works that reflect God’s love and share in His provision according to His will. These good works come straight from the heart, bypassing the head. These good works are fruitful in building God’s kingdom.

Increasing in the knowledge of God…seeking the LORD, learning and growing in His Word, then applying God’s Word to our lives. Knowledge also implies relationship… growing closer to God, knowing His heart, hearing His voice, and walking in obedience. Knowledge of God helps us to become more Christ-like. Increasing in our knowledge of God increases our love for Him. As we grow in the knowledge of God, faith abounds, strength increases, and gratitude grows in the heart.

Strength.  Strength that is not in and of ourselves, but in the power of God. Strength that defies logic… It is that strength that makes people say, “I don’t know how she is doing it!”, “How in the world is she keeping it all together?” It is the strength that reflects the power of God to help us in all situations and circumstances, through which He imparts patience and ability to withstand suffering. Composure, a good attitude, and even joy, comes as a result of knowing that God, Who loves you, is in control.  It is faith in God, His love, and hope that gives us this strength, in which we may testify of His glorious power. This strength is fruitful in the sense that it points others to the power of God in us that makes us an “overcomer”...it is tangible proof of the living God, Christ in us!

Gratitude. Sincere thanks to our Creator for life, all that has been created for us, and generously provided for us. Our heartfelt thanks for life, God's love and forgiveness, redemption and salvation through Jesus Christ, pleases Him.
Father, help us to live lives more pleasing to You...
In Jesus' Name...
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment